“The doctrines of grace humble a man
without degrading him and exalt a man
without inflating him”
The five points of Reformed Baptist Churches
A brief out-line of our distinctive convictions
|A. Sola Scriptura||The Bible is the complete, closed and clear authority in all matters of faith.|
|B. Solus Christus||Our confidence is in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.|
|C. Sola Gratia||Grace secured redemption without reference to works.|
|D. Sola Fide||We are declared righteous by God through faith alone (1).|
|E. Soli Deo Gloria||Goal of creation and redemption is God‘s praise.|
|A. Total Depravity||The fall of Adam affected the totality of man’s person(2).|
|B. Unconditional Election||Election is not based on foreseen faith or works(3).|
|C. Limited Atonement||Redemption was accomplished by Christ for elect(4).|
|D. Irresistible Grace||Regeneration by the Holy Spirit is efficacious for elect.|
|E. Perseverance of the Saints||God will, by grace, complete what He began in regeneration of the elect.|
|A. Godliness in Worship||Regulative Principle of Worship (5), the Lord’s Day as a Christian Sabbath.|
|B. Godliness in Preaching||Primacy of preaching. Both exposition and application emphasized.|
|C. Godliness in Instruction||Confessional and catholic. Publishing what we believe the Bible teaches (6).|
|D. Godliness in Family||Parents are to instruct (catechize) and discipline their children in the Lord.|
|E. Godliness in Behavior||Maintaining a good conscience before God and man.|
|A. Unity of the Bible||Many parts yet one message.|
|B. Christ-centered interpretation||Jesus’ person, work and kingdom is the theme of the Bible.|
|C. Law / Gospel distinction||Law (7) commands and condemns. Gospel saves (8).|
|D. One way of salvation||Christ has saved all the elect throughout all the ages.|
|E. Optimistic view of history||Jesus Christ is now King ruling over all. He will soon come again.|
|A. Biblical Church Practice||Ordinances for believers only(9). Church discipline lovingly exercised.|
|B. Biblical Church Freedom||The state is not to intrude into matters of conscience.|
|C. Biblical Church Government||Elders and deacons. The local congregation chooses its leaders(10).|
|D. Biblical Church Growth||Gospel proclamation to the world. Repentance and Faith demanded of all.|
|E. Biblical Church Ministry||Priesthood of all believers(11).|
(1) This is an imputed alien righteousness. Justification is perfect, neither waxing nor waning.
(2) We agree with Martin Luther that man‘s “will comes from the devil and from Adam.”
(3) A Calvinistic understanding of Salvation: We reject all man centered understanding of salvation.
“She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” Matt. 1:21 cf. John 10:11,14-18,24-29; Acts 20:28; Isa. 53
(5) As opposed to the “Normative principle” which states that what is not forbidden is allowed. Our worship service is built around the Scriptures read, preached and sang.
(6) We hold to the Second London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689. Additionally the Apostles, Nicene, Athanasian and Chalcedonian creeds express our understanding of orthodoxy.
(7) We recognize the “Three uses of the law.” First, the law serves as a guide to society in promoting civic righteousness. Secondly, the law convicts sinners and drives them to Christ. Thirdly, the law directs Christians in holy living.
(8) Law and Gospel are in both Old and New Testaments. The gospel is the promises of God to His elect.
(9) Infant baptism is alien to the practice of the New Testament. Likewise, immersion is the proper mode of baptism.
(10) “A particular church, gathered and completely organized according to the mind of Christ, consists of officers and members; and the officers appointed by Christ to be chosen and set apart by the church.” We recognize no greater authority than the local church.
(11) The local church is a spiritual family where relationships are to be open and honest. All matters are handled in charity and patience. Only through every-member participation can individuals grow in grace and love.
Adapted and Developed by Pastor David CharlesBack to Top ^